Saturday, January 03, 2009

New try, old habits

Gonna try again, once more, to get it right. One thing for sure, the falling off the wagon and the failing part I've got down pat! Mother used to say, "it's easy -- just don't do it again"! Of course, she was talking about quitting smoking. Not that she ever smoked. Nor did she ever get fat. Have to admit though -- she was right about the quitting smoking. Turned out that after smoking cigarettes for 34 years - all I really had to do to quit, was stop putting one in my mouth! Made me mad she was right, too!

Sometimes I wonder why it works that way -- why is it that when I'm the Mother, it should always be unquestioned that I am right and know what I'm talking about! It was only when she was Mother, that I took it that, naturally, she was wrong.

Maybe it is hereditary? Sometimes, my children seem to suffer from the same delusions.

Although I spent a great deal of money and time looking for the right solution to stop smoking, one that would lessen my urges, one that would help me forget my love affair and dependence on nicotine, it is clear now that I wasted a great many years trying to avoid the quitting part. I allowed myself to get wrapped up and sidetracked into trying to make it easier to quit. I know now, I should've just quit.

My failures to lose this weight, are, I believe, very similar. I've wasted a great deal of time and money on joining gyms and websites, hiring personal trainers, buying diet books, buying pedometers, weight scales, heart monitors, shoes, exercise clothes, exercise music, exercise dvds, tapes, and special foods, snacks, supplements, and vitamins instead of only focusing on getting rid of the weight! If I want to lose the weight, I need to work and keep my focus on losing weight, not focus on things to help me make it easier to lose or track my weight. Duh!

To that end, I will need to keep myself accountable for what I do eat day to lose weight -- limit my caloric intake in a verifiable way (weigh my food and enter it into fitday) -- increase my movement and caloric expenditures in a verifiable way (clock all of my daily exercise and enter it into fitday). I will monitor my progress by weekly weigh-ins.

No more spitting into my hand and wishing...

1 comment:

Amity said...

Wow, even my MOM has a blog!? Too cool; I hope you keep writing. Maybe it will inspire and motivate me to keep updated with mine too.

I agree with your post; with age comes wisdom in getting out of our own way and just DO it. I also think our curse of "perfectionism" provides a convenient excuse to want to make things JUST RIGHT before embarking on painful change. Change IS painful; it's stepping out of our comfort zone and stretching into a new behavior.